About the course:
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction™ 8-Week Course
Although stress is at the cause of many physical illnesses and psychological disorders, it is not often diagnosed or treated at the root level. There are very few resources that effectively treat stress as a condition. MBSR™ is an 8-week intensive course, backed by 38 years of research, proven to reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Utilizing curriculum developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD at UMASS Center for Mindfulness, the course is designed to teach mind-body awareness, recognize and put to use our inner psychological resources to respond to toxic stress, increase stress hardiness, focus, creativity, regulate emotions, and allow a greater sense of self-care and well-being.
Why do adults take this course?
Some of the major reasons why people take the MBSR™ course is job, school or family stress, chronic pain, sleeplessness, mild depression and anxiety, anger issues, or grief. The class is also very effective in helping to establish a personal mindfulness meditation practice to simply take a more proactive role in greater overall health and well-being.
– How to stabilize and focus attention to use internal psychological resources for greater self-care.
– Identify Automatic Habitual Stress Reactivity and Mindfulness Mediated Stress Response, and respond more wisely to stressful events.
– How to work skillfully with difficult emotions, thoughts, and unpleasant physical sensations.
-Techniques to respond more wisely to stressful events and difficult communication.
– Recognize judgement, bias, negative thought patterns and reactivity in a more non-judgmental, engaged manner by cultivating self-compassion, embodied presence, empathy and acceptance.
-Create a personal, on-going mindfulness meditation practice.
Classes focus on the experiential cultivation of both “formal” and “informal” mindfulness practices such as gentle yoga, mindful movement, and meditation as a foundation for the cultivation of psychological and emotional resilience that can be effectively utilized across the adult life span. The group meets once per week for 8 weeks for 2.5 hours. Each participant is expected to complete home practice on their own, such as meditation, body scan, yoga, the other 6 days per week for about 45 minutes per day.
One, silent Day of Mindfulness retreat experience is included to deepen the practice of seamless, meditative awareness (approx. 6 hours: 9am-3pm). This is held on a weekend day following week 6 class.
Continuing Education Opportunities:
Teachers, Educators: 15 contact hours- 1 License Renewal Credit through Heartland AEA
Therapists, Counselors and Psychologists: 20 Contact hours- 20 CEUs
Clergy and Spiritual Directors: 20 Contact hours- 2 CEUs
FALL 2018 class
Required Orientation: Tuesday, August 21, 1:00-2:30PM
Class Times: Tuesdays, September 4 – October 23, 1:00-3:30PM
Silent Day of Mindfulness Retreat: Saturday, October 13, 9:00AM–3:00PM
Location: Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center, 8553 Urbandale Avenue, Urbandale, IA 50322
Tuition: $250 per person
Registration Deadline: August 14, 2018
– Cancellations made 7 or more days prior to date of first class: Full fee is transferable for use within 6 months from session start date.
– Cancellations made 24 to 72 hours prior to date of first class: 50% of full fee is transferable for use within 6 months from session start date.
– Less than 24 hours notice prior to date of first class, no shows, and withdrawing mid-class: Full fee is forfeited.
For more information:
Contact the facilitator, Allison Peet at firstname.lastname@example.org
Allison Peet, RYT200 is a qualified MBSR™ (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) Instructor trained at UMass Medical Center for Mindfulness, founded by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD. She is trained through Mindful Schools and teaches mindfulness to youth, K-12 and is also a therapeutic yoga instructor. She’s completed 27 full days of silent meditation retreats to date and has a daily practice. Allison has a personal path of living and working with chronic stress and anxiety which is why she started her own business in 2015, From Within Wellness, LLC, to benefit others. She is committed to creating a more mindful community by helping people develop pragmatic life skills in attentional strength, present moment awareness, self-compassion, and stress resiliency.
READ: “3 ways to start a mindfulness practice” by Allison Peet